Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A street car named "Stella!"

Pardon the punctuation: First off let me thank me dear foodie friend Cathleen for this wonderful suggestion. All day I had been thinking about what I was going to eat tonight. Kids have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads while I had visions Fois Gras dancing in mine. "Stella!" is where I ended up eating tonight. The food was so amazing that when I die I don't want Saint Peter waiting for me at the pearly gates. I want Chef/Owner Scott Boswell  at the gates of foodie heaven waiting for me with one of his creations.  Here's what' currently in my belly:

  1. Chef Starter- Ahi Tuna with a Wasabi air
  2. Appetizer- Foie Gras "BLT" with Duck Pate, Try Truffle Mayonnaise, Spiced Pear Chutney, Brulee Pears and Bianchetto Spring Truffles
  3. Entree- Bone Marrow Crusted Prime Beef Tenderloin Sous-Vide with Hickory Smoked Fingerling Potatoes, Grilled Ramps, Seared Cherry Tomatoes and Porcini Bordelaise Sauce
  4. Fois Gras "BLT"
  5. Dessert- Bananas Foster French Toast with Tahitian Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Spicy Candied Walnuts and Crisp Plantains
Beef Tenderloin
Before we move on I'd like to acknowledge my two servers Elizabeth and Rhett. My hats off to you both for helping me have such an amazing experience. Any good meal starts with an good wine. Two glasses of R. Lopez De Heredia 2000 Rioja was my weapon of choice. At $16 a glass this was a steal of a deal for a restaurant of this caliber. To start they brought me a lovely little bowl of Ahi Tuna with Wasabi air. It was YumYum,  nuff said. The Foie Gras "BLT" was my next item to tackle. What a wonderful interpretation on a classic American dish. The truffle mayonnaise is the flavor that lingered in my mouth and left me wanting more. The Sous-Vide beef tenderloin was the best I have ever had. For those of you intimidated by French terminology on a menu, don't be!!!!!!! This french technique will give you a piece of beef that will literally melt in your mouth. Bone marrow crust and hickory smoked fingerling potatoes were the perfect compliment for this tender piece of beef. Those hickory smoked potatoes are something I can't wait to try at home for a dinner party and attempt to take full credit for coming up with it on my own.    I found myself cutting the last pieces of steak smaller and smaller as I tried to make this dish last as long as possible on my plate. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and in that end came my Bananas Foster French toast dessert. For those of you who follow my facebook page this item will be in my "Best thing I ever Ate" photo folder. If my wife would have been with me I would have ordered two of them and hoped that she didn't finish all of hers. This is one of the top five desserts I've had in my whole life. They should figure out a way to put this in a frozen shipping container and send them around the world. The US Military should drop crates of these things into war zones to distract the enemy and put them in a food coma. I've said enough....get a plane ticket to NOLA and have one yourself.

Bananas Foster French Toast

Per Elizabeth's recommendation tomorrow I'll be going to "Stella!" sister restaurant named "Stanley." I know I know the theater geek inside me smiles a the names of these New Orleans restaurant. Tennessee Williams would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment