Wednesday, May 23, 2012

South by Southwest Cuban!

Pardon the punctuation: One of my Facebook fans told me to check out an amazing Cuban food truck while I was in Austin, Texas. Upon checking on google maps it was located just two blocks from my hotel.  My friends all know that I'm always on the hunt for good Cuban food and never did I think I would find it in the middle of Texas. Miguel's The Cubano is right on the corner of Trinity and 6th street was an unassuming little white trailer with pork that smelled so good that I was set adrift into the blissful memories of my childhood in Miami.  When I walked up to the window I was greeted by, "Alejandro" who runs the joint and is friendly as hell. That's just how we Cubans roll. After shooting the shit for a minute and discussing our Cubanness, he told me I have to try their Media Noche.  I had that aroma of pork on the brain and asked Alejandro if he could make me a traditional Cuban pork sandwich called a ,"Pan con Lechon" instead. He obliged and I was in heaven. Nothing cures homesickness like a taste or smell from home. The pork was juicy and full of flavor while the sweet roll was baked fresh and perfect.  This was washed down with a Materva and finished with some arroz con leche which is the Cuban version of rice pudding.  Miguel's the Cubano has TheYumYumFoodie's seal of approval. I only wish they were open on Sundays.  If you're in this neck of the woods give Miguel's a show and make sure you bring some friends. That way you can taste more of the awesome things on the menu.
http://www.facebook.com/TheYumYumFoodie
@TheYumYumFoodie
TheYumYumFoodie@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment