Monday, July 2, 2012

The Hollywood Cooking Class Groupon

Vegetable Spring Rolls
Pardon the Punctuation....My christmas gift from my brother and sister in law was a Groupon for The Hollywood Cooking Class.  Before I get to the good stuff I must get to the bad. Whoever is running the booking of this class might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. I called several times with no return phone call and when they did return one of my calls it was two weeks later. Not the best way to run a successful business. Once we finally booked a time they rescheduled my class not once but twice...ridiculous. Once we got to the class my impression changed completely. My wife and I were greeted by Vanessa who was great and served us some drinks while we waited for the rest of the class to arrive.  Of course several guests were thirty minutes late and since they live in a bubble where the world revolves around them, they didn't even acknowledge their tardiness and apologize to the eight other people that showed up on time. At least we were finally able to start. Aja was the chef teaching the class and she was great.  The dishes were simple yet elegant and Aja was great and answering any question we had. First we rolled our own chocolate truffles and had a few options to flavor them. This was a blast since I've always been intimidated to make my own truffles. It was so easy to do that I can't wait to make my own. I wish Aja would have done a demo on how to make the ganache so we can see that part of the process but it's understandable why it was pre-made for us since it takes a couple of hours to cool for rolling. Next we made a basic mixed green salad and were educated on how to make a true vinagrette. All of it was educational and delicious. The appetizer course was vegetable spring rolls which is something I had never made on my own and enjoyed the whole process from choosing which vegetables to put in rolls to mixing my dipping sauce. Our main course was a Swai fillet cooked over vegetables en Papillote style which basically means it was wrapped in parchment paper like an empanada and baked in the oven. This was something that I would have never taken the time to cook before but after trying it in the class it's going to be one of my "Go To" choices for making a healthy fish dish. Happily I can say that the "Hollywood Cooking Class" did not leave a bad taste in my mouth. Chef Aja was great and did a great job of making this fun, educational, and entertaining. I have to admit that we had a better time in the class than we expected to have. I'm looking forward to attending another version of the class in the future and I recommend it for couples and solo guests alike.
Swai En Papillote


 To invite TheYumYumFoodie to your establishment contact:

TheYumYumFoodie@gmail.com

"Like" on Facebook

Tumblr




No comments:

Post a Comment